Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Show and Tell

We'll it's time for my confession.  I am doing my first quilt block swap ever and my newbie-ness is showing thru.  I am participating in a Halloween See Saw Swap that Michele over at Quilts From My Crayon Box put together.  Sharon, my partner, has been teaching me about Wonky blocks and Hoochy quilting ( which I had never heard of) and I must be a slow learner.  When she sent my block back the sides were each different widths and I thought it was a mistake so I trimmed them even.  Now ..... I'm sure I am just an insensitive jerk.  Have you ever done something you regretted later and had to face the music?  I really must be stupid too because she explained wonky and hoochy but just didn't see how this was what she meant by that.  Three days later I woke up and had an ephinany ( don't you hate when that happens too late?)  I think she was creating a inward box that would have drawn the eye to the center of the quilt, which I let her know would have been brilliant but I have just never played with quilting the way this is turning out to be.  I have pretty much always had a pattern or created one and followed the plan and am struggling with the not having control over the process.  I even told Sharon that I was up for anything but when anything happened I didn't realize that I was to just go with the flow like I said I would.  Stupid, stupid, stupid....I can't kick my bootie enough!!!  I hope she can forgive my brainless act and just know that I am happy with the result even if she isn't.  I know I probably ruined her whole plan in one stupid move. For that I am very sorry. Here is a pic of the block after I added the next round.  I love the colors she added and am having fun with the block.  She has taught me something though, her hoochy stuff is a lot about story quilts so I have chosen to continue the scene out into my surrounding borders.

I can't wait for her to see what I did to her block.  I LOVE how it turned out and hope she does too but I'm going to make her wait to see it until she gets it in the mail.  She is using the ghastlies in her block and it is going to be fantastic when it is done.  I am already thinking I should be making me one to match hers. Don't you just love the ghastlies! Maybe I'm related to them since I seemed to have done something so ghastlie and now I kind of look like them :(  YIKES!!! Sorry Partner

2 comments:

  1. I like what you 2 are up to with this. I can't wait to see it done. And I'd love to see her Ghastlies. I've got one of those going myself and I need to add the next round to it so I can share it on my blog.

    Glad you are enjoying and learning from the process. I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghastlies are cute. don't be hard on yourself.
    You learned something new and you are enjoying the process. That's what matters.

    Wanted to say thank you again.
    I have received my beautiful quilt top and posted some pics on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! It makes my day when you leave a comment. Please feel free to ask a question or drop a note anytime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...