Friday, January 4, 2013

Another BOM

I was visiting the blog of Pippa's when what should I see but no...not a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer but another BOM that I just HAVE to do.  In fact I am considering doing it twice.  One I will share with my readers here and one I will not reveal until late October. That's the plan anyway if it works out like I think it will.  So what was it that peeked my interest so.  A BOM by Ula Lenz.  I LOVE, LOVE her paper piece patterns. This one involves a castle that will consist of twelve 8x8 inch paper pieced blocks presented once a month here
I made a quilt a few years ago that I made from one of her patterns in this book.


 I ordered it from her site and was surprised how quickly I received it.  It features miniquilts but I was wanting to make the 'It's a small small world' quilt that is shown on the front cover in a size for a baby blanket.  I enlarged the patterns and adding a row of hearts to the top and bottom to make it a rectangle and this is how it turned out.  It is like my Opus Magnum of all that I have created.  I gifted it to a special friend I work with and I would love to make another just as a wall hanging for my own personal enjoyment but Iknow I probably will never do it.  I don't know why but I  hate making the same quilt twice.  The thrill of seeing it come to life is gone the second time around...at least for me.  Another co-worker has offered to have me make this quilt for his child and he will buy it, but what would one put as a price on something like this.  I don't think whatever it would be, would be enough to get me to do it again and give it away (paid or not) if I were to make it again I would want to keep it.  I have always loved the It's a small, small world theme since I was a young girl and had a collection of international dolls that I wish I still had but alas I do not.



 I created the pattern for the Hawaiian girl, Mexican boy with the small sombrero, Scottish girl in plaid and since Ula is from Germany I figured I needed a boy in lederhosen so I created him, too. The rest are from her pattern and I am definitely a huge fan of her work.  She is simply one of the best paper piece pattern makers in my estimation.  I am truly excited to find this BOM and add it to my growing list of monthly projects.  Now I just have to figure out what fabrics to use.  Think, think, think....


 .

2 comments:

  1. Your Small World is just fabulous. I love your children you designed.

    I can't wait to see your castle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your work.... fantastic. Thanks for being such a great influence

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! It makes my day when you leave a comment. Please feel free to ask a question or drop a note anytime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...